June 29 – July 4, 2019
Schedule of Events
A Colossal Fourth
Saturday, June 30
- Red, White & Blue Costume Contest at Rincon Valley Farmers Market (12500 E. Old Spanish Trail)
- Sunset at the Park: Colossal Cave Mountain Park (16721 E. Old Spanish Trail)
Special themed tours all day
6:00-8:00 p.m. Entertainment, great food for purchase, wagon rides $5.00
Sunday, July 1
- Door Slammers Car Club Show AND National Corvette Day at Hacienda del Lago (14155 E. Colossal Cave Road)
10:00 a.m. -2:00 p.m. Food & drink specials at Hacienda del Lago
- Wine-Tasting & Vine Blessing at Charron Vineyards (18585 E. Sonoita Hwy) 12:30 -2:30 p.m.
- Dark Skies Star-gazing Christ Lutheran Vail (14600 E. Colossal Cave Road) 8:00-9:30 p.m.
Monday, July 2 (or Anytime!)
- Hike the Arizona Trail or Cienega Creek Preserve. Permit required for the Preserve (520) 754-5000
Tuesday, July 3
- A Colossal Fourth Block Party & Fireworks at Hacienda del Lago (14155 E. Colossal Cave Road)
Block Party 5:00-8:30 p.m.
Fireworks 9:00 – 9:20 p.m. This may very depending upon weather
FREE PARKING at Cienega H.S. – FREE shuttle buses to Block Party every 15 minutes
- Kidz Zone: Jumping Castles, Water Slides, Carnival Games. Fee: $5.00 per child or $10.00 per family. Free for Military families past & present courtesy of American Legion Post #109
- Vendor Booths
- Great Food!
Wednesday, July 4
- A COLOSSAL FOURTH PARADE with Splash Zone. Colossal Cave Road between the Christ Lutheran Vail (14600 E. Colossal Cave Road) and del Lago Golf Club (14155 E. Colossal Cave Road)
NOTE: Colossal Cave Road will be CLOSED from 8:45 – 11:00 a.m.
Saturday, July 7
- July 7: American Legion Post #109 Patriotic Celebration (15921 S. Houghton Road – details to be announced)
- Charron Vineyards: 10% off wine-tasting AND bottles to local residents 6/30, 7/1
- Colossal Cave Mountain Park: 10% off in gift shop 7/1-7/4 with receipt from another Vail Main Street business
- Montgomery’s Saloon & Grill: Try a Prickly Pear Margarita! (13150 E. Colossal Cave Road)
- Rincon Valley Farmers’ Market: 10% off purchase
If you aren’t watching the parade, you must be in it!
Bring your family and friends to the A Colossal Fourth Parade! Watching – come decked out in your patriotic best. Parade entries think patriotic & prickly pear cactus! Vail is the prickly pear capitol of the world! Get creative – show your patriotism and Vail prickly pear pride! • Entry Form (click here) – Enter your family, a group of neighbors, your club or business. • To watch the parade – Park along the Parade Route before 8:45 AM.
- Keep all parking and seating off the pavement! This is a Pima County requirement to keep the parade safe.
- NO throwing of objects or entering into the parade route by parade watchers.
- At 9:00 AM SHARP, the Pima County Sheriff Department will close Colossal Cave Road to vehicular traffic and the parade begins. The Parade will end after the last entry – but no later than 11:00 AM.
Parade Route begins at Christ Lutheran Vail Church parking lot at 14600 E. Colossal Cave Road. Parade volunteers will line up entries. Parade Route ends at the Hacienda del Lago, parking lot at 14155 E. Via del Lago. The parade route is approximately .6 mile in length. • Parade Route The Parade SPLASH ZONE will be clearly marked. If you are in the SPASH ZONE you will get wet! • Protect your valuable electronics. • Bring a towel. You might even want to wear a swimsuit, a hat and sunscreen. FREE to watch!
Tuesday, July 3rd
Patriotic Prickly Pear Block Party will be held at Hacienda del Lago Golf Course a planning partner of A Colossal Fourth. Bring a chair or blanket! Live music, great food, jumping castle, slip n’ slide, booths, Carnival games and so much more. Hacienda del Lago, 14155 E. Via del Lago, Vail Event Parking $5.
|4:00 PM||Exhibitor Booths Open|
|Christ Lutheran Vail Fun Zone|
|Great Food Music|
|9:00 PM||Fireworks and Coordinated Music|
Parade Entry Form
Booth Vendor Application
WelcomeVail Preservation Society's: A COLOSSAL FOURTH
From Saturday, June 30th through Wednesday, July 4th A Colossal Fourth events will unfold from the Rincon Valley Farmers Market and Colossal Cave Mountain Park, south along Colossal Cave Road to Charron Vineyards in the beautiful Empire Mountains. Events include live music, star gazing, free petting zoo, family movie, Blessing of the Vines, Parents Night Out, History Tour, Legion 109 Patriotic Party, Tucson Speedway races and fireworks, local discounts, Prickly Pear Festival Block Party with Kid Zone, live music, and great food that will end with the Parade on July 4th.
A Colossal Fourth is a celebration of community and country along Vail’s Main Street Corridor. It is made possible by Vail Preservation Society, Christ Lutheran Vail, Rita Ranch Automotive & Tire, Cox Communications, Sunstate Lighting, Vail Self Storage, United Community Health Care, U of A Tech Park, Crest Insurance, Greater Vail Area Chamber of Commerce, Pyramid Credit Union, Bling By Design, Pizza Hut, and Butler Doors. We invite you to join these great sponsors!
We appreciate our Stars & Stripes ($5,000.) Sponsor – Rita Ranch Automotive & Tire | Christ Lutheran Vail | Vail Preservation Society http://www.ritaranchauto.com/wordpress/ http://www.christlutheranvail.org https://vailpreservationsociety.org
A Colossal Fourth’s four+ days of fun will showcase Vail and Carona special places and highlight local businesses like Rita Ranch Automotive & Tire, Vail Station merchants, Colossal Cave Mountain Park and Charron Vineyards. It will strengthen community identity and sense of place. The steering committee, made up of partners representing Vail’s business, faith and non-profit sectors are working tirelessly to ensure great experiences for you. With so many great things to do over the long weekend we encourage everyone who lives in the greater Vail and Corona de Tucson area to consider this the first of many future “Vail-cations”. Connect to community – stay local, experience local and buy local!
Be a part of A Colossal Fourth. Get creative and register an entry in the July 4th Parade! Need more info- or to register online go to www.acolossalfourth.org or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
What is Vail Connects? Vail Connects is a national and Arizona Main Street program certified by Arizona’s State Historic Preservation Office and the National Trust for Historic Preservation. Does Vail have a Main Street? You bet-it is Colossal Cave Road. Originally called Vail Road until 2006, it was built in 1898 by the Helvetia Mining Company from the town of Helvetia in the Santa Rita Mountains to Vail Siding. Its purpose was to transport copper ore to the nearest rail head for shipment to Globe, Arizona for processing. Main Street is a program of the National Trust for Historic Preservation. Over the past 35 years the Main Street program has a proven track record of building stronger communities and economic opportunity. It works. Locally, Vail Connects programs maintain and establish local traditions that build a sense of place that embraces a creative, forward thinking future for Vail while honoring our heritage.